Thursday, November 18, 2010

41 Going on 14?

Last Saturday evening my husband of 12 years looked me straight in the eye and said: "I think you need to sit down and have a drink because you're hysterical."

Let me backtrack and explain. I suddenly felt like I'd been sucked into a time warp. Either that, or I had finally lost my mind. And since I'd like to grasp onto whatever thread of sanity I have left, I prefer to believe the former.

Earlier in the day, I'd been radio channel surfing and settled on a station I don't usually listen to playing an old R&B song I hadn't heard in a while. This is cool, I thought and sang along as I continued with my domestic duties, surprised by my ability to remember every single word of the song despite not having heard it in 20 plus years.

But when the song ended things started getting freaky. A gentle voice from a long-time-ago place said "Coming in at number 38, that was Rufus and Chaka Khan, with the song, Ain't Nobody." Huh? That's strange, I thought. Could it be a new re-release of the original song?

"The hit's from coast to co-oast," rang out, conjuring up more ancient, forgotten memories. Oh My God - Casey Kasem! He's back? I couldn't even remember the last time I heard his radio show - we're talking years and years ago. But surely, they would have updated the jingle by now?

As I listened on, enjoying great old songs from my early teens, like Michael Jackson's PYT, Stevie Nicks and others, it was clear that I'd somehow been transported back to 1983. Just like Hot Tub Time Machine, only without the hot tub... or the time machine.


I grooved to the sounds of "35-year old David Bowie" (ha!) singing Modern Love, and belted out "Islands in the Stream" by Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton. I grabbed Ciaran and spun him around to Prince's "Delerious" - which apparently I was. I even re-lived my head-banging days with a little Quiet Riot. Whoever said 80's music sucks was dead wrong - well besides Quiet Riot, that is. But, in one little Top 40 countdown there was something for everyone; a little funk, some pop, new wave, dance, metal and even country!

And in between all this multi-genre music awesomeness, was another forgotten feature of the program: The long-distance dedications. One in particular had me rolling on the floor in laughter - not the soldier based in Lebanon with a "lovely German wife at home in the U.S.A." but the song he dedicated to his pregnant wife. Are you ready for it? "Having my Baby." Yep. Pretty cheesy, but in defense of the 80's, I'll have you know that song came out in 1974.

Yes,  I'm all about reliving my childhood lately. Maybe it's a sign of senility, or simply getting older, but I had a blast hearing those old songs, and so did Ciaran. Especially as we boogied on down to the #1 song in the nation for the week ending November 12, 1983: Lionel Richie's "All Night Long".

Afterwards, I checked the radio station's schedule online (obviously it wasn't really 1983, or I wouldn't have been able to do that), and guess what? Casey Kasem's American Top 40 is a regular feature every Saturday afternoon! So you know where I'll be come Saturday at 1:00 p.m. Hanging out in front of the radio with my mop & bucket and thinking about those glory days...hmm, I wonder if Bruce Springsteen will make the countdown this week!

13 comments:

Cheryl said...

I totally would've rocked out with you!!

Anonymous said...

I love it when I hear songs from my younger days!

Anonymous said...

Flashback! Wow, the just made me feel like a teen again! (In a good way, not a hormonally angst-ridden zit cream way.)

Sounds like fun, I'll confess to dancing 'round with my kids on occasion too.

Kimberly said...

I think I love you. The 80's rocked. I have the sudden urge to tease my bangs and use half a can of hairspray.

The Mayor! said...

Not only would my mop & I be right there to rock out around your kitchen with you, but I would also be thrilled to join you in that drink your hubby's buyin'...nothing better than reliving our own "glory days", right?? I watched This Is It today, & sang along with Michael to every tune, moonwalking around my living room with the baby. Sweet memories! I will definitely be looking for Casey Kasem, can't believe he's still "counting down" on the radio lol!

Anonymous said...

You can never go wrong with Dolly and Kenny! Never!

Sandra said...

I don't think you're hysterical at all! I mean, Michael Jackson ruled! I love...ummm...I loved him!

Tara said...

do spill the station...i could use some of that!

Pamela said...

Good point from the cinnamon post. Sorry! I guess I could have mentioned the station - 102.9 (Hamilton, I think) http://www.k-litefm.com/Personalities/Story.aspx?ID=1256856

It starts at 1:00 on Saturdays. This past weekend was a countdown from 1982. I love how they change it up!

Stephanie said...

Oh you just took me back! I used to love that top 40 countdown and the long distance dedications! LOVE IT!

Ms. G said...

I love stations that do the old music but I haven't found one here that does Casey Kasem! What could be more fun than dropping your kids off at high school with "cum on feel the noize" blasting away?
Not much ; )
I so adored David Bowie....

Alexandra said...

Oh, you are stronger stuff than I am.

I get all depressed listening to oldies

I'm such a debbie downer, I know.


I just don't like time passing on...

Happy Thanksgiving!

Mrs. Tuna said...

Great, just what I need, to be reminded the turning 50 is getting closer everyday.

Related Posts with Thumbnails